Waterfox 53.0.3 Release (Windows, Mac & Linux)
Waterfox 53.0.3 is now available.
What's new in Waterfox 53.0.3?
- Updated to Firefox 53.0.3 (Release Notes)
What's new in Waterfox 53.0.1?
- Remove limitations for Windows XP/Vista users. Built targetting SUBSYSTEM:5.02 (Windows XP quits immediately on start, probably due to unsupported features on XP. Vista runs fine with various features disabled)
- Use built in OS location services. This will require permissions from your OS, which should ask when Waterfox tries to utilise the API (tested on Windows 7+ and macOS, will get MLS API key as well for unsupported systems)
- Fixed add-on corruption issue on add-ons with no manifest ID
- macOS builds are now available
What's new in Waterfox 53.0?
- Updated to Firefox 53.0
- The Git repo now includes the mozilla-release commit history to allow easier merging
- Delay in macOS release as I've lost all of my private keys for my previous Apple Developer ID certs and am awaiting the 5 cert limit to be lifted. I've heard this can take a while so will try to push as I can't make any new Mac 💻 releases without one
- NPAPI Plugins and unsigned extensions should still run
- Disabled PulseAudio and enabled ALSA for Linux builds
- Attempt to fix future issues with search engine getting replaced upon update. Unfortunately, your search preference will be edited with this update, but hopefully should stop getting overwritten with future updates
- Fully gutted and removed slowStartup, BrowserUITelemetry & UITour, BrowserUsageTelemetry
- Trials are occuring with ffmpeg. I'm planning to add support for every audio/video format that isn't supported natively on the platform Waterfox is run on and allowing support for more codecs such as HEVC etc on top. The UK doesn't suffer the same patent issues as the US in releasing software that uses H.26X
- I'm going through all the 3rd party libraries used by the Mozilla platform to make sure they are updated often instead of waiting for them to eventually get merged into mozilla-release
What features does Waterfox currently have?
- Disabled Encrypted Media Extensions (EME)
- Disabled Web Runtime (deprecated as of 2015)
- Removed Pocket
- Removed Telemetry
- Removed data collection
- Removed startup profiling
- Allow running of all 64-Bit NPAPI plugins
- Allow running of unsigned extensions
- Removal of Sponsored Tiles on New Tab Page
- Addition of Duplicate Tab option (toggle with browser.tabs.duplicateTab, thanks to PandaCodex)
- Locale selector in about:preferences > General (further improved by PandaCodex)
- Mozilla's location service now requires an API key. I'm contact Mozilla in regards to getting access to one. Geolocation will not work for the time being.
- When using a profile shared by Firefox, sponsored tile and snippet URLs may overwrite default Waterfox settings, enabling them again
- Automatic updates will be delayed by 24 hours to make sure there aren't any pressing issues before seeding to everyone.
Partnership with Ecosia
Waterfox has now partnered with Ecosia as a way to raise funds. When using Ecosia, revenue generated from ads helps plant trees and contributes to Waterfox upkeep costs! If you'd like to help support Waterfox while also doing some good in the world, please help us out by using it!
As always, head to the Downloads page for the latest versions!Waterfox Downloads